City Harvest Church Pastor Kong Hee May Face More Prison Time As Prosecution Urges Harsher Sentence

6150597
City Harvest Church pastor Kong Hee pictured with his wife, Sun Ho. Reuters

Embattled City Harvest Church Pastor Kong Hee and five other members sentenced to prison for misusing church funds have been faced with yet another obstacle, as the prosecution has officially appealed that all parties be given harsher sentences.

According to Singapore's Business Times, the prosecution filed the Petition of Appeal on Monday, arguing that the sentences imposed on the six CHC accused members are "manifestly inadequate, in all the circumstances of the case."

As reported by the Gospel Herald, after a lengthy trial, all six CHC leaders were found guilty in November of funneling more than $35.5 million in church donations to promote the singing career of Sun Ho, who is Kong's wife and fellow CHC founder.

Before sentencing, state prosecutors said it was "the largest amount of charity funds ever misappropriated in Singapore's legal history". 

For the past five years, Kong and the others accused denied any wrongdoing and dismissed reports that they controlled management company Xtron, which was handling Ho's career. Although the megachurch maintained that Ho's pop music was intended as a form of outreach to non-Christians, Kong was sentenced to eight years in prison, the longest of the six, whose sentences ranged upwards from 21 months.

In December, the six accused individuals had also filed their notices of appeal against both conviction and sentences, indicating to the court that they intend to appeal.

At the time, Kong said that he respects the court's decision, but found points that are "erroneous and warrant appeal."

"I will therefore be preparing to file an appeal against both my conviction and sentence. Earlier today, I was informed that the prosecution has also filed an appeal against the sentence imposed by the court," the pastor said in a statement.

"My lawyers will also address the prosecution's appeal at the appropriate time. I sincerely need your prayers during this process for a favorable outcome. The road ahead is long and arduous, but God's grace is sufficient for me," he added.

A separate statement on the City Harvest Church website asked members to "continue to pray earnestly for the six and their families that God will grant them wisdom, protection and grace during this challenging time."

Despite his uncertain future, Kong has maintained a positive appearance, regularly taking to social media to share photos of his family and congregation.

"It was good to be back in CHC and speaking at our weekend services for the first time in 2016. Thank God for fresh revelation for a brand-new year!" he wrote last week,

Just hours after the prosecution announced it had filed the Petition of Appeal, Kong shared another ministry update, writing, "Sun Ho and I had a wonderful time of fellowship with some church leaders and long-time members. I felt it is like the gathering of the early Christians in Acts 2, fellowshipping, praying and sharing heart together."

    Most Popular
  • Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Faith-based films often receive mixed reactions, and The Last Supper is no exception. The movie attempts to bring a fresh perspective to one of the most iconic moments in Christian history, but does it succeed? Some reviews from critics and audiences provide insight into its strengths and shortcomings.

  • ‘The Chosen’ Season 5: The darkest season yet—What to know before watching

    The wait is over—The Chosen is back with its fifth season, and this time, things are getting intense. The new episodes dive straight into the final days of Jesus’ life, covering some of the most emotional and dramatic moments in the Bible. If you’ve been following the series, you already know that The Chosen isn’t just about retelling familiar stories—it’s about bringing them to life in a way that feels real.

  • Massacres in Syria: Over 1,000 dead, including Christians and Alawites

    Syria’s coastal regions have been devastated by a series of massacres, with reports indicating that over 1,000 people—many from Christian and Alawite communities—have been killed in brutal attacks. Entire families have been wiped out, and survivors are fleeing in search of safety as sectarian violence escalates.

  • Kim Sae-ron and Wheesung: The tragic irony of Korean society and the principles of happiness

    Not long ago, the media was in an uproar over actress Kim Sae-ron’s passing. Just months before, the same people who had relentlessly criticized her for her DUI incident were now expressing sympathy, saying, "The world was too harsh on her." The irony is impossible to ignore.

  • Newsboys move forward as a quartet after Michael Tait’s departure

    After more than a decade as the lead singer of the Newsboys, Michael Tait has officially parted ways with the band, marking a significant shift in the Christian rock group’s lineup. The remaining members—Jeff Frankenstein, Jody Davis, Duncan Phillips, and Adam Agee—have assured fans that they will continue forward, embracing a new season of music and ministry.