Franklin Graham Says Sexual Assault Allegations Surrounding Roy Moore are 'Troubling if True'

Roy Moore
Roy Moore allegedly told evangelist Franklin Graham that the sexual assault allegations against him were "not true."  Facebook/Getty

Evangelist Franklin Graham has weighed in on the sexual assault allegations surrounding Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore and said the accusations are "troubling if they are true."

"Roy Moore has been in the news continually for the last several weeks with a number of accusations that would be troubling if they are true," Graham, the CEO of Samaritan's Purse, wrote on Facebook.

Graham also linked to an open letter Moore sent conservative TV/radio host Sean Hannity denying the accusations: "Here's the letter he posted to Sean Hannity giving his side of the story," he said.

The evangelist revealed he'd previously meet Moore - once in Alabama last year, and again in Norway last week.

"I... asked him if these allegations were true. He said absolutely not," Graham said. "You can read his detailed response for yourself. My prayer is that the truth will ultimately be revealed and lies will be seen for what they are."

Moore is facing calls to step down before the December 12 special election after the Washington Post published a report based on interviews with more than 30 people, saying Moore, now 70, pursued relationships with teenagers while he was in his 30s. One woman said she was just 14 years old when Moore initiated sexual contact with her.

Moore has denied any past misconduct and has indicated he has no intention of stepping aside.

"I believe tampering has occurred," Moore charged on Twitter. "Are we at a stage in American politics in which false allegations can overcome a public record of 40 years, stampede the media and politicians to condemn an innocent man and potentially impact the outcome of an election of national importance?"

Moore closed his letter by saying, "I adamantly deny the allegations of Leigh Corfman and Beverly Nelson, did not date underage girls and have taken steps to begin a civil action for defamation. Because of that, at the direction of counsel, I cannot comment further."

While Republicans in Washington - incuding Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Speaker Paul Ryan and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz - have urged Moore to step down due to the allegations, some pastors have continued to back the politician.

Pastor Bruce Jenkins of Young's Chapel Congregational Methodist Church told CNN: "I don't know what's happened in this country where a man isn't innocent until proven guilty," he said. "It's not fair to comment until it's proven or disproven."

"It's a pretty convenient time for this to come out, and it has not changed my opinion and won't, unless true," he added.

Rev. Jamie Holcomb, of Young's Chapel Congregational Methodist Church in Piedmont, said: "I've known him my whole life and I've never known him to do anything inappropriate.

He said that he'd need to see more proof before he changed his mind.

"I stand behind him 100%, unless there's proof," he said. "If (his accusers) are found to have been assaulted, I'll be the first to condemn it."

    Most Popular
  • Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Faith-based films often receive mixed reactions, and The Last Supper is no exception. The movie attempts to bring a fresh perspective to one of the most iconic moments in Christian history, but does it succeed? Some reviews from critics and audiences provide insight into its strengths and shortcomings.

  • ‘The Chosen’ Season 5: The darkest season yet—What to know before watching

    The wait is over—The Chosen is back with its fifth season, and this time, things are getting intense. The new episodes dive straight into the final days of Jesus’ life, covering some of the most emotional and dramatic moments in the Bible. If you’ve been following the series, you already know that The Chosen isn’t just about retelling familiar stories—it’s about bringing them to life in a way that feels real.

  • Massacres in Syria: Over 1,000 dead, including Christians and Alawites

    Syria’s coastal regions have been devastated by a series of massacres, with reports indicating that over 1,000 people—many from Christian and Alawite communities—have been killed in brutal attacks. Entire families have been wiped out, and survivors are fleeing in search of safety as sectarian violence escalates.

  • Kim Sae-ron and Wheesung: The tragic irony of Korean society and the principles of happiness

    Not long ago, the media was in an uproar over actress Kim Sae-ron’s passing. Just months before, the same people who had relentlessly criticized her for her DUI incident were now expressing sympathy, saying, "The world was too harsh on her." The irony is impossible to ignore.

  • Newsboys move forward as a quartet after Michael Tait’s departure

    After more than a decade as the lead singer of the Newsboys, Michael Tait has officially parted ways with the band, marking a significant shift in the Christian rock group’s lineup. The remaining members—Jeff Frankenstein, Jody Davis, Duncan Phillips, and Adam Agee—have assured fans that they will continue forward, embracing a new season of music and ministry.