Government to Open National Embryonic Stem Cell Bank

The government is still refusing to cave into demands to lift Bush’s restrictive policy on embryonic stem cell research. Instead, the government plans to open The National Embryonic Stem Cell Bank, which will improve the chances of research on already approved embryonic stem cell lines.

The National Insitutes of Health (NIH) has also announced it will develop three “centers of excellence” devoted to speed research on the embryonic cell lines covered in the policy.

The National Embryonic Stem Cell Bank would get samples from today's 19 approved sources — companies or others who created them — and grow them under specially controlled conditions, reported The Associated Press.

That's important because today's hodgepodge of growing conditions can affect research outcomes, said NIH Director Elias Zerhouni. One central source also will lower the cost, from the $5,000 per shipment some researchers pay today to several hundred dollars, he said.

The "centers of excellence" would pair basic biologist who are today's prime stem cell researchers with physicians to accelerate research into useful therapies, Zerhouni said.

These efforts to further the research of available embryonic stem cells comes in midst of a national debate on the morality of the research. Scientists want to use embryos to harvest stem cells, which they believe could grow to replace any damaged tissue in humans. The wife and youngest son of the late President Ronald Reagan have been in the forefront pushing to widen the lines of embryonic stem cells which they believe will aide researchers in developing a cure for such diseases as Alzhiemer’s, the disease which resulted in Reagan’s death. The two were backed by a letter signed by 58 Senators and sent to the President earlier this month.

However, opponents of the research argue that human embryonic life would be destroyed in the process of harvesting stem cells from the embryos. They believe the potential to cure diseases lie in researching adult stem cells and keeping to the research on some 70 embryonic stem cell lines funded in Bush’s policy.

Proponent of embryonic stem cell research Sen. Orrin Hatch announced on July 4 there is wide support in the Senate to ease the Bush administration’s restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.

Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson disagreed, stating that the currently policy on embryonic stem cells should not be changed.

In a letter he wrote to send to members of Congress on Wednesday, Thompson said, "The president's embryonic stem cell policy holds tremendous and yet-untapped potential.”

He continued, “Before anyone can argue that the stem cell policy should be broadened, we must first exhaust the potential" of currently available lines.”

Some are not statisfied by the proposals.

Keith Yamamoto, executive vice medical dean at the University of California, San Francisco, a leading center of stem cell research, called the proposals “window dressing.”

He noted universities including UCSF and Harvard already are doing this so-called translational research using their own money.

He explained that when scientists call for more cell lines, they don’t want more of the same. “The fundamental questions we need to ask come partly from what we learn by deriving them,” he said.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif suggested the new proposal still leaves a “a cloud” over “important research.”

However, the NIH recently reported new successes using adult stem cells in research. Researchers were finally able to produce a mixture of periodontal ligament — including the specific fiber bundles that attach tooth to bone — and the mineralized tissue called cementum that covers the roots of the human teeth after implanting the human adult stem cells into rodents. They will now apply the research to larger animals.

Thompson also argued that federal funding of embryonic stem cell research did not exist before Bush made the policy in 2001 but now has reached $24.8 million — and says the new proposals should further accelerate it.

    Most Popular
  • Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Faith-based films often receive mixed reactions, and The Last Supper is no exception. The movie attempts to bring a fresh perspective to one of the most iconic moments in Christian history, but does it succeed? Some reviews from critics and audiences provide insight into its strengths and shortcomings.

  • ‘The Chosen’ Season 5: The darkest season yet—What to know before watching

    The wait is over—The Chosen is back with its fifth season, and this time, things are getting intense. The new episodes dive straight into the final days of Jesus’ life, covering some of the most emotional and dramatic moments in the Bible. If you’ve been following the series, you already know that The Chosen isn’t just about retelling familiar stories—it’s about bringing them to life in a way that feels real.

  • Massacres in Syria: Over 1,000 dead, including Christians and Alawites

    Syria’s coastal regions have been devastated by a series of massacres, with reports indicating that over 1,000 people—many from Christian and Alawite communities—have been killed in brutal attacks. Entire families have been wiped out, and survivors are fleeing in search of safety as sectarian violence escalates.

  • Kim Sae-ron and Wheesung: The tragic irony of Korean society and the principles of happiness

    Not long ago, the media was in an uproar over actress Kim Sae-ron’s passing. Just months before, the same people who had relentlessly criticized her for her DUI incident were now expressing sympathy, saying, "The world was too harsh on her." The irony is impossible to ignore.

  • Newsboys move forward as a quartet after Michael Tait’s departure

    After more than a decade as the lead singer of the Newsboys, Michael Tait has officially parted ways with the band, marking a significant shift in the Christian rock group’s lineup. The remaining members—Jeff Frankenstein, Jody Davis, Duncan Phillips, and Adam Agee—have assured fans that they will continue forward, embracing a new season of music and ministry.