Saudi Arabia Traps Christian Surgeon for Faith in Jesus

Dr. Mamdooh Fahmy, who was working as a surgeon in Saudi Arabia, wrote a letter to International Christian Concern appealing for help to return home to Egypt. His prior attempts to go home for over two years have been futile with the Saudi government refusing to grant him the required exit visa.

The Christian surgeon was working at Albyaan Menfhoh Medical Center in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, before he was removed from his position at the center six months ago, according to ICC. Fahmy has since not been able to obtain another work permit because of his Christian faith.

Harassments targeted at Fahmy began early on when his Muslim colleagues at the medical center in 2004 repeatedly pressured him to become a Muslim. After becoming tired of enduring the taunts, Fahmy told his co-workers that he was a Christian and would not change his religion. In response, the group accused him of being a missionary.

In Fahmy’s letter to ICC, the doctor details the maltreatment he underwent because he publicly acknowledged his Christian faith in Saudi Arabia:

“On April 12, 2005, I had a surprised visit from three Saudi officials at work. Two were in civilian attire and one was a police officer. They informed me that they were from the morals policing organization (Muttawa). They proceeded to insult me publicly before the staff and patients of the medical center. They confiscated my wallet, cell phone and keys. They handcuffed me, shacked (sic) my legs and dragged me to a waiting car, then proceeded to my residence.”

Fahmy then told how the police officer allowed two civilians to raid his house and confiscate all his written and published materials.

“I was then taken to the police station … where I was formally accused of being a Christian missionary and of consuming alcoholic beverages at work,” recalled the persecuted Christian doctor. “I was placed in solitary confinement for five days. After my confinement they began the interrogation process. Each time I was questioned, I was cursed and insulted. The interrogator referred to me as ‘Infidel.’”

After his release Fahmy was told that his passport was now in the custody of the police.

The Saudi government has reportedly been leading Fahmy in circles, promising to let him leave the country but in the end blocking his path.

In the latest incident, he was told that all he needed to do to exit the country was file some departure applications after Egyptian officials raised his situation with the Saudi government. Fahmy filed the papers, but not only was the application rejected, but Saudi officials laughed in his face for attempting to leave, according to ICC.

Saudi Arabia is notorious for its religious freedom and human rights abuse. The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, an independent, bipartisan government body established to monitor religious freedom in the world, recommended to the U.S. State Department again this year that Saudi Arabia be designated a Country of Particular Concern – the worst religious freedom violation label.

The State Department has often criticized Saudi Arabia for religious intolerance and human rights abuses including a legal system with punishments such as flogging and amputation.

Christian persecution watch group Open Doors this year listed Saudi Arabia as the world’s second worst Christian persecutor behind North Korea.

Moreover, the Saudi government is accused of propagating religious intolerance through its public textbooks, which teach Muslim children to hate all non-Wahhabi Muslims.

“What is being taught today in Saudi public school textbooks about how Muslims should relate to other religious communities will poison the minds of a new generation of Saudis,” said Nina Shea, then-director of Freedom House’s Center for Religious Freedom, during a news conference about Saudi textbooks earlier this year.

ICC and Fahmy are requesting that people contact the Saudi embassy to inform them of the growing awareness of Saudi Arabia’s human rights violation in this case.

Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, US

601 New Hampshire Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20037

Phone: (202) 342-3800

info@saudiembassy.net

Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Canada

99 Bank Street Suite 901,

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1P 6B9

Telephone: (613) 237-4100

Fax: (613) 237-0567

Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, UK

30 Charles Street, W1J 5DZ

Tel: +44 (0)20 7917 3000

ukemb@mofa.gov.sa

    Most Popular
  • Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Is 'The Last Supper' worth watching? Audience and critics weigh in

    Faith-based films often receive mixed reactions, and The Last Supper is no exception. The movie attempts to bring a fresh perspective to one of the most iconic moments in Christian history, but does it succeed? Some reviews from critics and audiences provide insight into its strengths and shortcomings.

  • ‘The Chosen’ Season 5: The darkest season yet—What to know before watching

    The wait is over—The Chosen is back with its fifth season, and this time, things are getting intense. The new episodes dive straight into the final days of Jesus’ life, covering some of the most emotional and dramatic moments in the Bible. If you’ve been following the series, you already know that The Chosen isn’t just about retelling familiar stories—it’s about bringing them to life in a way that feels real.

  • Massacres in Syria: Over 1,000 dead, including Christians and Alawites

    Syria’s coastal regions have been devastated by a series of massacres, with reports indicating that over 1,000 people—many from Christian and Alawite communities—have been killed in brutal attacks. Entire families have been wiped out, and survivors are fleeing in search of safety as sectarian violence escalates.

  • Kim Sae-ron and Wheesung: The tragic irony of Korean society and the principles of happiness

    Not long ago, the media was in an uproar over actress Kim Sae-ron’s passing. Just months before, the same people who had relentlessly criticized her for her DUI incident were now expressing sympathy, saying, "The world was too harsh on her." The irony is impossible to ignore.

  • Newsboys move forward as a quartet after Michael Tait’s departure

    After more than a decade as the lead singer of the Newsboys, Michael Tait has officially parted ways with the band, marking a significant shift in the Christian rock group’s lineup. The remaining members—Jeff Frankenstein, Jody Davis, Duncan Phillips, and Adam Agee—have assured fans that they will continue forward, embracing a new season of music and ministry.